Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 10: Everyone!


It's hard to believe that today is already our last night here in Costa Rica! We have had such a blast and learned 2000lbs (a ton!). Although we are sad to leave and will miss this incredible country, most of us are eager to see our families and sleep in our own (air conditioned) bedrooms (not necessarily in that order though).

First, a comment on last night. We had an amazing time doing turtle sweeps, but, unfortunately, the turtles eluded us. It was hard to be disappointed, though, since we were able to see the stars very clearly and hear the ocean's waves crashing on the beach.


This morning began at like 7:00 with another breakfast of rice, beans, and eggs for, like, the tenth time. After the hearty breakfast, the first year students set off on an adventure into the dry forest. The second year students were like, "we're tired," and opted to skip the hike in favor of a little down time. The first year students were like, "the hike was great but also, like, super long." On the hike, the students were, like, incredibly lucky and managed to catch glimpses of an assortment of birds, insects, lizards, and a snake. They also got the opportunity to, like, view TWO troupes of White Faced Capuchin monkeys that were very active. They, like, became very irritated that the students were in their territory, and, like, began shaking the branches in order to encourage the students to leave. The second year students were, like, extremely jealous of all the cool organisms the other students saw, but also enjoyed sleeping in (some slept until 11:30!).


Before we launch into the next activity, you will be relieved to know that the "like" trend stops here, and we will give you a bit of background on it. After our presentations, the teachers' main feedback was that we used the word "like" too many times (which, I guess, means that they weren't too bad?). They have been teasing us about it when we say the word ever since. Anyway, back to the day's narration...

After the hike, some students braved a free-solo climb up a fire tower ladder. There were great views, and we were even able to convince Mrs. Laden to climb up to the top. It was astounding to be able to see for miles.


Our final activity in Costa Rica was a trip to the Pacific Ocean. It was certainly one of the highlights of the trip; we were able to bond even more as a group by swimming, talking, and watching the sunset. We also terrorized hermit crabs and built sandcastles. For dinner we had a barbecue on the beach, and it was delicious! As the sun set over the horizon, we struggled to take a jumping picture as an ode to last year. Here is the best we could do:


And, finally, we leave you with comments from the students. We decided to turn it into a game; see if you can guess which student made which comment (key at the bottom). Also, some students didn't get the memo and used names in their comments, so we blocked those out.

1. Costa Rica has been very fun so far.  I will see you tomorrow.

2. Costa Rica has been very exciting so far.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

3. I love being in Costa Rica and I've learned so much.  See you tomorrow night <3.

4. Dear Mom and Dad, slowly but surely I have become Costa Rican.  Hopefully you still recognize me tomorrow.

5. Dear Mom and Dad, *** and ***, I hope you have had a peaceful time while I was gone.  Be prepared for the possibility of another friend coming back with me. 

6. Mom, Dad, *** and ***, I have had a blast in Costa Rica! I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

7. Mom, Dad, and brothers, I've been having a great time in Costa Rica. Obviously. Pumped to see you tomorrow Dad, and I'll see you in a week or something Mom and boys.

8. Mom and ***, I really don't know what to get you, so I just won't get anything, lol, love you!

9. Mom and Dad- I love and miss you (sorry I took like NO pictures) but... you love me anyway!

10. I am so appreciative that I had the opportunity to not only be exposed to a completely different side of biological sciences, but also to experience a new culture and the rainforest. Thank you Dad and Mom; the adventures I had here are something I'll always remember.

11. Dear Mom, you're on the trip with me. This is pointless.

12. Dear Mom and Dad, thanks so much for bringing me on this trip. It has been the best experience. I can't wait to tell you all about it!

13. Mom and Dad, I have had a great time in Costa Rica and cannot wait to see you all tomorrow!

14. My dear family, this trip was great and I'll tell you all about it when I get home (and make sure there are sheets on my bed when I get home if you REALLY love me). I'm excited to tell you all my stories, but also I really want to hear from you about whether pets are still alive and a sibling hasn't burned down the house.

15. Hey Family! I love you all and thanks so much for supporting me and sending me to Costa Rica! The experience has been incredibly rewarding and exciting. :)

16. Did not want to write

17. Did not want to write


KEY:
1. Jack
2. Claudia
3. Adalee
4. Adam
5. Bridget
6. McKenna
7. Meghan
8. Sarah
9. Leah
10. Anna
11. Karin
12. Olivia
13. Carlie
14. Annika
15. Erin
16. Allie
17. Taylor

And a PS from Erin:
Happy Birthday Anjali! I hope you had a fantastic day:). I love you!

From all of us:
Thank you John, Pablo, Andy (Senor Grande), Mrs. Leland, and Mrs. Laden! We appreciate all you have done and the time you have spent to make this trip possible.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment